Dubbed "the world’s leading internet entertainment service" Netflix recently announced that they will bring together 47 comedians from 13 regions in what they are calling "an unprecedented stand-up comedy event series" which will be available in 2019.
According to Netflix, "each comedian will perform a half-hour stand-up special, some of which will be recorded at the upcoming Just for Laughs Festival in Montreal, with sets also being taped in Brazil, Mexico, India, Germany and The Netherlands."
The currently unnamed special will feature a range of stand-up specials from comedians who are diverse in style, gender, and ethnicity and will tape in seven languages (French, Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic, Dutch, German and English).
“Few things are better than discovering a new comedian you love. With this event, we’re creating a true comedy festival experience for our members where they can scour the globe from home to find some of the freshest voices in comedy,” stated Netflix' VP, Original Documentary and Comedy, Lisa Nishimura, in a statement.
The roster of stand-up comedians that will record at this year’s Just for Laughs from July 24 - July 29 in Montreal include:
Loyiso Gola, Loyiso Madinga, Tumi Morake and Riaad Moosa from Africa.
As well as;
- United States: Chris D’Elia, Neal Brennan, Nicole Byer, Nick Swardson
- United Kingdom: Nish Kumar, Joel Dommett, Mae Martin, Ellie Taylor
- France: Shirley Souagnon, Jason Brokerss and some comedians who are yet to be announced.
- Australia: Joel Creasey, Nazeem Hussain, New Zealand, Urzila Carlson, Cal Wilson
- Canada: Adib Alkhalidey, François Bellefeuille, Ivan Decker, Louis-José Houde, Katherine Levac, Dave Merheje, Deanne Smith and K. Trevor Wilson
- Middle East: Moayad Alnefaie, Adi Khalefa, Rawsan Hallak, Ibraheem Alkhairallah
More comedians will be announced as time goes by.
- What to read next: Loyiso Madinga becomes The Daily Show's African correspondent
Main image credit: instagram.com/tumi_morake/